Dang-it! Just as I've done for every day this last week, I called the phone number that the Superior Court of CA gave me, and told me to do. But this time I was stopped before I hung up. This time was different that all the rest. This time they told me to report to the Airport Court house! I was so pissed. I left work in a huff, and was frankly bitter about it the rest of the evening. In the long run it meant that I had to readjust my priceless and busy schedule, just for some random person who thought they needed a jury trial.
But I did take the time last night for the usually scheduled Track-Star Show Off event in Brentwood. I was a necessary feature there so I had to go. I was like a wild and ferocious Antelope strutting around the African Serengeti. I was pretty good. I did get tireder than normal, and quicker. I figured that was from my lunch time eating habits, but I was still good. I saw a few more of the usuals around the track too. The Pink Ninja was one of them. I don't know if it was just her being even faster, or me being slower, but I couldn't keep up as long as normal. Running tonight was different for another reason as well. The Pink Ninja was mentoring a Raskley Kitten (RK for short). It was kind of funny cause RK would attach all of her personal belongings to her clothing which was under her outer clothing. And I guess she was fascinated with this fact cause she kept wanting to show the PN stuff that was attached. And as much as she was talking about it, she would thus try to keep it a secret from me, being the wild and ferocious Antelope that I was, thus conversing with her meaningless cause in 10 seconds she's going to refer the conversation to her under clothing, and then turn away and only discuss the 'punchline' with the PN. The most exciting part was when RK 'lost' her keys for 30 seconds. The Pink Ninja started running backwards around the track to find them, then after 20 seconds I heard "Oh here they are" Apparently they only shifted to another part of the under-harness amongst all the other clutter. After I rolled my eyes at least twice I then took off running after the Pink Ninja so she didn't loose us. Luckily she hadn't gotten that far. The RK was very 'raskely' cause she kept wanting to comb her own fur, (just like kittens do), and then tell us about it 5 times at least, then tell us that she wanted others to like her combed fur, etc..., and then repeat.
So I woke up extra painfully early. I did however treat myself to two of the best Winchell's donuts that I've had in a long time. I nursed them down oh so slowly and carefully. I wanted to make sure to get every ounce of its Goodness in me. I downed one on the car ride down, and the next I enjoyed in front of all the other potential jurors. I think they were jealous of me. I got there in plenty of time, but just to be stopped by the courthouse not opening until 5 after 8am. It really seemed like every one there was really bitter, and didn't want to be there. Especially the employees. I'm sure dealing with hundreds of stupid people every day wears on you, but Hey, its me. Lighten up already! Instead of just 'giving us information', they would speak down to us, and usually do so sarcastically. I wasn't planning to have any problems with them, otherwise I'd have to put them in their places. I was there from 8am to 12pm (4 hours), and it seemed like almost half of that time was spent lecturing and orientating us on what to do. The Juror supervisor was well rehearsed in her opening speech and every time someone asked a question, her response was, "I'm about to get to that". So then for the next two or so hours I just sat and waited in the holding tank. Luckily I had my sketchbook to keep me entertained. That and people-watching. I started getting antsy, and checked the clock around noon. But shortly thereafter they announced that they were waiting for one more court to call them for people, then they'd release us. Then 5 minutes later they started calling all our names and then gave us Jury Service Certificates. I hung it in my office as I got there.
Then it was only 12:30, and I debated not going back to work, but I figured I'd impress them by going in. But it turns out that half the office was gone, so it didn't really matter. oh well.
I treated myself to Carl's Jr. A lunch time first sponsorship.
I'm listening to Johnny Cash right now.
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment