Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lunchtime fiasco Edition

So today Lunch was forced upon me right at 12 noon. Network nerds have been working on our computers here, and Last friday they screwed it up, so all of yesterday I (all of us) was(were) very unproductive. We did what we could to survive, then when the computers were fixed, there wasn't really that much to do anyway. So today one of the nerds came back and was checking up on us. Then a high teck nerd/ super-nerd showed up from HP itself to fix stuff. It went much smoother while he was here vs. the regular nerds. As the HP dude came in, he glowed with nerdieness. The regular nerd guy was almost afraid of the HP uber-nerd. I guess there's a strong pecking order in Nerddom.

So anyway, they were fixing stuff at noon so we all went to lunch then. I was hungry for a hamburger, but I wasn't as ambitious to hike all the way down to Headlines again, and I wasn't daring enough to go back to In N Out yet, so I went to Jose Bernstein's. They're burgers aren't to bad, and they're around $5. Usually its not to crowded there for as small as it is, but today it was just packed. I even had to wait for two lonely firemen to leave before I got a table. So after I sat I started drawing in my book, like I usually do, with an occasional people watching moment as well. Today's people watching was most memorable. I observed two little asian girls who would wisper to eachother non-stop, then randomly start giggling in the usual 'valley girl' super high pitch fashion. They did it so much that it almost became a screatch. I wanted to hand them both a large handfull of napkins and ask them to shove them in their mouths. But I didn't. Luckily someone else came along to change the subject. This kid came in and was takling like... well, someone I'd easily make fun of. But after careful deliberation I decided that he was acting like the rainman character, from the movie. But then I realized that he wasn't acting. Then I was proud of him being able to be out on his own. Then I was worried that his legal gaurdian was looking for him. The was he was talking wasn't socially normal, so I figured something's not right in the head. two different people came into Jose's for food that knew him too. One kid almost spoke like him too, and he was geeky looking. I could almost guess at the questions he asked these two people he knew: "Hi richard!, What are you doing here? Are you going to eat? What are you going to get Richard?" (just as loud as he was when across the room, and remember he had just come in.) "Do you know what you're eating yet? I got french fries. You should get french fries too." etc. It was kind of funny for 2 minutes, then the volume got kind of annoying.

I'm listening to the new Guns N Roses album right now. It took Axl 14 years to get it done, and I'm a little disappointed.

No comments: