Friday, January 16, 2009

On the Track Again

Last night I resumed my weekly running schedule. I always hesitate to go on Thursdays, even though that's when I've always gone. Where did all my running motivation go? I even wore my new shoes! Usually when I put my running shoes on, my feet instantly want to jump up and down independently of what I want to do, so I just ride my shoes as far as they'll take me, or until I get tired. It took me a while to get to that point yesterday. We went up to the Outback track like usual. One thing that was different was that there were a whole lot of kids there. It must have been a school night with the amount of people running around and twirling about. The Australian Outback must be located close to a university; otherwise they were all on field trips. It was such an intruging experience.

It was a busy night all round. Although it was dark, the people walking about us didn't seem to care as they normally do. I was intrigued by this at first until I realized that they all must be Vampires! I thought I got rid of them all, but nope. We walked thru what must have been the vampire cultural learning center, cause they were all dancing and singing and running around like in every European train station.

Right as we entered the track area we saw many people playing on the field. I immediately recognized them as rugby players, and in rounding the track for the first time, I also identified a few scattered soccer players and the far end of the field. On the other side of the fence there were additional sports teams of all sorts.

At the far end were the gymnasts playing on the monkey bars, and dangling hoops. They were there mostly to show off, and flex for other people running by.

Coming over to 3/4ths of the track we could watch, and make fun of, the 'track' stars hopping up the long staircases of the stadium, along with the many cyclists who were peddling very fast, but not going anywhere. There were at least 30 of them.

After all that we would then come into the Ninja's in training. they would frantically twirl their shiny swords and batons and all that fancy crap.

There were even a few people reading there. And of all places, at the running track!

After a few laps I would recognize the regulars, the speedy kids (passing me), and also the 'watchers'. Now, the watchers were either waiting for someone, or just being voyeurs, which was indeed kind of creepy.

So it was a lovely and educational trip to the track. People training and learning many many things. There was so much 'education' in the air, I almost wanted to start studying something myself! But then I remembered how expensive it is. Oh ya, I won't have a 'free' dollar for another 30 years. Oh well. Maybe then I'll study something again... ya right, ha!

Lunch was sponsored by left overs from the Fresh Corn Grill, and by Barq's Root Beer.

I was listening to 80's Hair Bands most of the day.

No comments: