Monday, July 26, 2010

Food filled weekend

This last weekend was all about Food.
On Friday when I got home, Cheryl had already eaten, so I punished her by making her come with me to go get my dinner, at Arby's. I like Arby's cause it was the first 'solid' food that I could eat since after my tooth incident. And the meat is sliced super thin so its easily chewable.

On Saturday morning I treated myself to Krispy Kream Donuts. They were a 10 minute drive away, all the way over in S.Monica, but the drive back was probably only 5 min., and tasty! Their theme this summer is 'Lemons'. So of course I had to sample some of their Lemon wares. I know that Cheryl likes lemon things, so I got some lemony goodness to share. The regular glazed donuts are only OK when they're normally just off the shelf, but when they're hot off the fryer, ohhhh boy, they're Grrrrrr-eat! At least 5-6 times better than just off the shelf.

In the afternoon Cheryl had made plans to go to some craft fair in some field in downtown LA. It was kind of interesting, and really HOT. It would have been better indoors, but then probably cost money. All the stuff was just like what you'd find on the 'etsy' website. There were lots of prints on fabric, clothes, and paper. Also lots of jewelry of all sorts, and lots of fabric stuff. (She got burned by the sun). But because we were right there, we went to Philippe's french dip sandwich place. That place is always raved about, but I really don't know why. We were in line for at least 25-30 minutes and when we get our food it wasn't that great. The sandwiches were like 7 bucks each, and mine was cold. And the bread was soggy with whatever broth they pre-dip the meat in the 'french dip sauce'. So if you're not quick at eating, you'll get more and more disappointed with your sandwich as it becomes more and more mealy and just 'blah'. Cheryl wolfed hers down pretty quick, but I was pretty slow, and ended up not even finishing it. Right before we went there we were in the fashion district looking at a fancy fabric store and I was eying a bunch of those little bacon wrapped hot dog stands. I held off, but later regretted it. There's not to many things that are better than bacon wrapped hot dogs!

Then later in the evening our ward had their 24th of July celebration our our local chapel ball field. Jeff and I were first in line and by the time we started serving ourselves it became very obvious that the people running it were simply amateurs. We just started dishing our salads when someone said "Oh, I thought we should start the lines over at this end." Which was the other end. So tons of Mo-tab wanna bees dashed to the other end, and just confused everybody. The unorganization turned it into a feeding frenzy and I was lucky to get out of there with my hands still attached. They had shredded beef (mediocre at best) baked beans (hard to mess those up (straight out of a can) in foil troughs), and the blandest macaroni I've ever had. It was honestly just macaroni noodles with bread crumbs on top, again served in the aluminum foil trough pans (absolutely NO flavor whatsoever. after two bits I questioned myself as to why I was even eating it. So i threw it on the ground when no one was watching.) They had decent deserts, but again, their unorganization messed everyone up. At first someone brought out one cake. Immediatly 70 people got in line, but because there was only one cake, everyone took 2-3 servings, so right in front of us, it was all gone. So the next 50 people tried desperately to pick at the crumbs. Jeff, Cheryl, and I went to the kitchen in the building and saw that where were tons of other deserts. Jeff wanted to start bringing them out, which I thought was ridiculous, cause that's obviously what happened to the other cake. So we just left and waited for someone else to bring them out. When they did they put them all at one table and had one of the oldest ladies serving each person one by one. Let me remind you that this is a Stake Activity! And grandma wasn't cutting it. So when I got up there I just started grabbing stuff with my hands. Meanwhile Cheryl saw the available food on my plate and started attempting to serve herself from my plate rather than the desert table. So it was awkward trying to fend off the old choir lady AND Cheryl from my hands and plate but never fear, I was successful. But I've had years of practice with two brothers and a dad who all seemed to want items off my plate, all the time.

On Sunday morning when i woke up I started whining as loud as I could that I needed pancakes in order to feel good enough to actually get out of bed. But she yelled back from the other room that she "doesn't do pancakes, but..." mid sentence I saw the thought wheels turning in her head and then she dashed out of the room. Moments later I could smell drafts of cinnamon and syrup luring me out of bed, so I was pleasantly surprised with what she called 'Apple Pancakes'. Its more like a pancake-like casserole. It was yummy.

After church Cheryl and I teamed up for more world class spaghetti. It was super good. Like usual.

Then I was secretly thinking of making cupcakes( I have been for a while actually) but Cheryl was inspired by the deserts from our Saturday night event, so she made something called 'Texas Sheet Cake'. It was super yummy. I'd tell you more about it but I have to go home now. work is over.

See ya!

No comments: