Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pearls of Wisdom...all gone


If you're getting this in the form of an email, its actually because I don't want to talk to you right now. Oh, don't be fake offended and emotionally hurt, I don't want to talk to any one right now. Literally. ANY ONE. Cheryl and I have been texting all morning and I'm fine with it.

It all started out so ...almost pain free. I woke up this morning as Cheryl was leaving. That meant I was going to be my regular late again. oh well I guess. I've been working a bit more than normal, so I was alright with it. I got up and called made an appointment with an Oral Surgeon, and then I called the dentist and informed him that I was coming over. They said they had the afternoon free, so it was OK with them. I went to work for a little bit; long enough to explain that I can't sleep at night because of a terrific pain, and they were OK with it.

I shuttled myself over to the dentist at 11am. It wasn't my 'regular' guy, it was his son, with whom he owns the practice. He could have been younger than me, so I was a little surprised. I tell him my problem and he of course evades a straight answer. He could have easily been a used car salesmen. After generic answers he started whapping my teeth with the blunt end of a metal instrument. It was just as uncomfortable as someone else poking you in the eye, but in the mouth. I corrected him and said it hurt from the cheek down to the tip of the jaw. Then he somehow switched ends of the instrument and then jabbed it back into the nerve of my mouth, and I immediately screamed "You hurt me!" He then left the room and left the nurse to deal with my agony. For a minute I honestly thought he broke my tooth, and then stuck whatever deep into it, causing my extreme pain. Seriously it was like a 8-9 on a 1-10 pain scale. It hurt BAD. They gave me something to rinse my mouth with, and after two seconds the liquid found the nerve and the pain spiked again. I then proceeded to freak out again. The nurse assured me that they would numb me and that of course shut me up for the moment.

In the meantime they decided to x-ray just my Wisdom area cause the last x-rays cut them off and you couldn't see them that well. After an awkward x-ray and a 10 minute cool down for me, Dr. Hot-shot came back in and looked at them. He gasped in astonishment and Ooogled at the level corruption of my right rear Wisdom tooth, #32 in the dentist world. He did say that I must be pretty tough to handle all the pain like that. I nooded in acceptance of this fact. And then HE offered to yank them right then and there, as he apparently had free time. My tooth had become infected, inflamed, or something like that. I slowly explained that I had made an appointment with the Oral Surgeon already and I thought that he might be able to help me with that. He then started smooth talking about how expensive these crazy specialists were, and I'd have to wait and all this other stuff. I wanted to ask if the procedure came with a free freshener or carwash, but I didn't. Thinking only of my health and the desire to feel better I agreed to it all. Trying to ask a cost, he just assured me that I'd be getting a great deal. My only stipulation was that I didn't want to feel a thing!

He agreed to my stipulation as he promosed "You won't feel [crap]", and then quickly started injecting me with whatever makes me not feel anything. Then they had me sign consent forms and all that crap. He started pokin at #32 and I quickly told him that it still hurt. So he injected some more stuff and moved over to #17. Somethime thereafter he extracted #1 and #16. I told him one or two or three other times that I felt something and the willingly took care of it.

Dr. Hot-shot was pretty interesting. Early on he assured me of how cool he was, and how young and hip too. I thought this was pretty funny. He also thought it would be great to tell me how much he needed a shot of tequila, and that one would help my pain too. So I then asked if he was like in the Little Shop of Horrors, where the dentist would numb himself more than the paitent. Then I fake appologized to him, explaining that I didn't drink or smoke, or 'party' like his college roomates. So then he stopped acting like such a frat boy and got to work.

The work consisted of extracting 4 of my Wisdom teeth. #32 was already in dire pain and he ended up injecting it about 6 times. #17 he said was the most difficult that he's ever had to extract and it took the longest. He then goes on to claim that he's assuredly extracted at least 10,000 wisdom teeth in his 'years' of working at a VA hostial. (If he was my age, 33, that means he has 6 years experience, which means he pulls 1666 teeth per year, 139 per month and at least 1 per day for the last 6 years. Hmmm. Well, if its true, then he has experience.

The part I didn't like of course was the physical pain that I felt (which still lingers in my mind), as well as the horrible emotional pain during the whole ordeal as well. At one point I wasn't sure if he or the nurse was holding my head in place so they could pull harder. He chipped, hammered, drilled, whacked, and yanked his way through my mouth. There are even abrasians on the outside of my cheek from where he stressed my skin from leveraging the instruments. #17, as I said took the longest, and it was the first he worked on, so I got pretty nervous on the ammounts of emotional stress that I would have to endure in my mouth. Luckily after all the injections I didn't really feel #32 that much, it was a brittle tooth, and it must have been disgusting cause he said he wanted to show it to me, to show me how gross or bad it was. Luckily for me the hygenists cleaned, disinfected, steralized the room every 10 minutes and probably cleaned it up before he showed me. Not kidding, at least two of them would spray everything down a few times every hour. Then #16 he said was tricky, but I didn't even remember him doing #1 so I was happy to hear I was done. I double checked after he said he was done.

The worst thing about it was hearing all the cracking, chipping, sawing, and grinding sounds in addition feeling the yanking, pushing, rotating, and etc associated with physical pain. Sometimes he would hold my forhead or jaw in place just do be able to 'dig-in' better.

After they released me I called work and excused myself from returning. I went to the adjacent walgreens and I ran ito Cheryl as I was dropping my Rx off. She helped me communicate with the wierd 'technicians' there. I couldn't cause my mouth was full of blood and gauze. My teeth, lips and tongue were all blood stained and wierd looking. I was quite vampiresque.

OK, I can't talk about it anymore, I'm getting flash-backs which are making me ill.
Feel free to discuss this with your current computer screen or a picture of me and NOT the actual me over the phone. Thanks. (If absoloutly necessary you may email, and I may or may not respond.)

Its been a few hours now and I haven't had to Vicodin-up yet so thats promising. Dr. Hot-shot said I'd be thanking him tonight when I Don't have lots of pain. We'll see about that, but I'm hopeful, and I will thank him when I go back, IF accolades are due.

Now if I could just eat something...

2 comments:

Joe Mama said...

That sucks dude. Hope you feel better soon.

Talltiffany said...

Yikes. I hope you are feeling better.