Thursday, June 24, 2010

Trouble at Work

I may have been born before the computer age, but I'm definitely a product of it.

My work this week has been literally crippled by a faulty network and retarded network admisistrator. Not 'mentally handycaped' retarded, but he's just an idiot, a moron, a dimwhit. He would rather think about doing something than actually doing it. I witnessed this a few times in the last 10 days that our network has been down. Maybe its only been 7 days. But he promises to have things fixed before he leaves, and he dosen't. He says he'll be in by 9am, and he saunters in around 1-2pm. Not even exhaggerating at all on that... or anyother part of his explanation. We just want things to work and he just wants to explain things three different times. The bosses already know they're going to fire him, just as soon as he gets us out of this mess. I hope he dosen't read my blog.

I don't know how other offices work, but I think they must use networks. We had them at my schools. I think its the only way for multiple computers to all connect to the same files, right? They're pretty necessary. I overheard the bosses saying that 3of the 4 network servers went bad, all at once. I don't think it happens that often. We've had lots of bad luck with it though. Every few months it seems something pretty bad happens. So we had at least 2 days of no network access. For some people it was less than that, and some more. Luckily one guy had just emailed some big important, up-to-date files the night before, so he could access it on his 'sent' email. So we could still do stuff. But if it wasn't for him... we all would have had a day or two off... which isn't a good thing. We still have clients to impress and deadlines to meet, so this little fiasco isn't helping at all!

I must say not having the internet at work for up to a day is managable, but for multiple days!? ... its unbearable practically! Today during lunch time I wandered over to best buy just to play on the internet. Then sales people started swarming so I had to leave there too.

It seems that every time our network guy comes in, he's trying to get the bosses to spend more money on stuff. My idea is "Make it work with what we have, or don't work for us." I think thats reasonable, and its also what the bosses think too. And if he can't make the old one work, who says he can make a new one work? when the bosses can him, it would be so cool if they let me do it. I would make it so dramatic, and memorable!

So in the process of 'fixing' our computers the network guy (he's an outside contractor who only comes in when we call him) decides that the best thing to do is to delete all of the stuff on each of our computers and create new user accounts for us. And the best part of it all, is that he didn't tell anyone that he was doing that. Oh, did you have pictures or music you wanted to save, OOPS, deleted. Oh, were you working on stuff and saving it on your own computer instead of the network, deleted. Let me tell you how awesome it is to show up to work and NOTHING is there that was there the day before. I told him how awesome it was to have all my stuff deleted off my computer without me knowing. He said I should have told one of the bosses that. So I ignored his dumb comment and kept on insulting him, "When in doubt, delete, right? Great business philosophy..." I mumbled the last part as I walked away from him, showing him that I was indeed better than him. Its not a huge loss cause I didn't have any 'loosable' music on there. I would have Loved to have been able to save the pictures that I've saved. But my BOOKMARKS! I only bookmark the coolest webpages. I rarely use them, but I miss them so much! I've built up such an extensive and elaborate, and super cool list of bookmarks of awesome web pages, that I don't think I'll ever be able to recover. I'm totally at a loss with them. My soul is in pain. Or maybe its my ego, I'm not sure. But I was pissed. Then another co-worker comes to me and then starts demanding stupid stuff so I almost blew my lid, so I just told him to back off, and I walked off. I'll have to complain about him another time, cause there's lots to say there.

Computers have changed so much since I first started using them.
I remember my dad coming home from work with a 'briefcase' as large as most carry-on luggage. An Audit bag is what he called it I think. I believe he still has his old work tools burried in the very back of the garage, along with those old adding machines and a spool or two of that reciept paper that printed like a type writer that he would often carry in his Audit Bag, in addition to tons of files and papers. Then he came home with a large box, barley bigger than the nifty Audit bag, with a tiny green screen and it could computer numbers, somehow, and you could play one game on it. Oh ya, and you had to insert these big 5" black paper n' plastic floppy disks in it.

Then there was the time when I came home and a bright and shiny computer was sitting in our home. I was in high school, so it was the early 90's. Good ol Windows 95. It changed the scene. And we only went up from there...

No comments: