Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Week of Teeth

I'm really ready for a burger! Maybe some salty fries doused in Catchup, and then to wash it all down with a freezing cold chocolate ice cream topped with whipped cream and a cherry for punctuation. Ahhh, I can feel the thick, solid, meaty food being mushed up by my remaining teeth, I swallow it in large chunks, just like any good carnivore would do. My tongue separates the swallowable food from the 'needs to be mashed some more' food. Ah the sensation it give my belly! Mmmm, the delight.
Well, maybe carnivore isn't the right word. They use their sharp incisors and molars to tear at meat. Each tooth individually stabs the meat repeatedly, letting it know who's boss. Ya, I can't quite do that yet. Then there's the herbivore part of me that just has to pick each piece of food apart with my front teeth, piece by piece, nibbling at little pieces as I go. I guess I'm kind of like that. Its actually more like a bird. I picture a Macaw parrot, with those big overlapping pointed beaks. They use their tongues to manover their food into their beaks and then nibble, chew, crack and mush whatever they will eat in fairly small quantities. Thats what I feel like when I eat. In case you're wondering.
Oh, but then prod my tongue around my mouth and quickly realize that the back of my mouth is still really tender, and there are still four gently placed blood clots that I need to protect. Needless to say its still really sensitive back there. Just last night I was gingerly brushing my remaining teeth and then the bristle tips accidentally went to far and I immediately felt like I was punched in the gut, but in the mouthal area. So I backed off. I've indeed promised myself to brush and floss more, that's a given.
Most of the pain I'd say is still emotional pain. Its cause I have such a vivid memory. Like right now, a day after touching the sensitive areas of my molar jaw, the lingering pain in my mind is still quite uncomfortable. The actual pain comes mostly on my jaw opening muscles right now. I haven't used them in 6 days and frankly they're still soar from when Dr. Hot-shot braced my head with his foot so he could use both hands to yank on my teeth. Thats more uncomfortable.

Today at work we had a lunch presentation. Usually the vendor will bring some sort of fancy lunch food to impress us, and this time it was the same. I tried eating some of the food, but the sandwiches had 'fancy' hard bread which shreds the inside of your mouth, healthy or not, stale cookies with chunks or nuts in each of them. Salad with croutons and soda. ALL things that I cannot partake in, or shouldn't. I tried a sandwich, and it shredded my mouth. AND the meat was super spicy so I got double burned. Even nibbling the cookies was weird cause every crumb was hard , like nuts, which I'm supposed to stay away from.
Oh well, lunch would have been nice.
I did however sit next to an older Emilio, who downed I think three plates of food. The most fascinating thing was watching him eat. The sandwiches were small, but he managed to make a mess of them, and being proper used a fork to attempt to reposition the meat, cheese, and veggies, but as soon as he tried to take a bite, everything slid out, making a mess. This happened 3-4 times in a row. And since he's old he's forgotten about eating with your mouth closed, so he chomps the food down. Maybe he can't breath when he eats so he must keep his mouth open, who knows. All I know is that it was entertaining.

No comments: