Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Happy Halloween

So last Friday I celebrated Halloween at work. I was pretty much the only one who dressed up. As you can see..., the bulk of my costume consisted of a t-shirt, so knowing I would get cold I also brought a Space-Sweater too. I was just recovering from my Space-cold you know.

I went to the ward Halloween party. It was being billed as a 'Trunk or Treat' party, providing sugar in various forms to children of all ages. We got there a little late cause Cheryl was 'busy' getting ready, whatever that means. Getting ready for me takes less than 2 minutes. Pants - ON, Shoes - ON, Socks - OPTIONAL, Shirt - ON, Sweatshirt - IN HAND. Keys, phone, wallet - CHECK. And ... DONE. Cheryl must do all that 50 times cause it takes her a lot longer to 'Get Ready', and I was the one in costume! I even had enough time to start playing computer card games in the meantime, but then when she prances in the room, she makes it all seem like she was waiting for me, then gets mad that I had the edacity to play computer games.

Cheryl had made these Rice Crispy treats and topped them with white/orange frosting/chocolate stuff, and then we both put Jack O Lantern faces, or spiderwebs on top of them with regular chocolate. They we pretty yummy.

So we get there, and we don't really know anybody, so we just hang out in one of the corners. They were serving chilly, and soup, and other mediocre food like that.

Then people start announcing that the kids want candy, so we should all go over to the car trunks now. Well, I took my time going over to the cars cause those kids should be grateful that we gave them anything. They shouldn't be the ones telling us that THEY are ready for Candy! Just for that I started telling everyone that I was going to hand out dried fruit next year. That or 'Advice'. "No young friend, its not candy, its better than candy, its ADVICE!" I got a few nervous chuckles from that. What will be even funnier is when I actually do it! Ha ha ha, then who will be laughing!

So then the kids start to come around to cars. The first kid that stopped by was dressed as a Weirdo in a mask who didn't speak. (Masks were supposed to be forbidden.) Then his dad tells him to go grab some treats. He takes one. Then the dad, who's dressed like a Car Wash Brush, but acts like a stoned hippy, tells him "Oh, those look good, grab some more." I was utterly shocked by this! I had just gotten done telling Cheryl that we would have to ration the treats out cause we likely don't have enough for all the little brats there. So the kid takes a second one. Probably cause he can't see my angry face threatening him away. Then the Dad asks, "Is that all you want?" then they leave. I was SO MAD. How dare they decide to take what they want of OUR treats. I wanted to throttle the dad. The kid was just doing what his hippy dad was telling him too, and probably has for his entire life. I told myself that I'd never let that happen again cause I was so mad.

As a few more people made their way around Cheryl decided it would be better if we placed the bowl of treats on the closed hood of our car, with us standing in front of it, and as kids would come by Cheryl would hand them out to each of the kids. Not giving them the chance to take more than one. It was a brilliant Idea. My idea was to get them to run 1 lap around the church building before we'd give them a treat. That might be a good way to weed kids out. But Cheryl went with her idea.

We did pretty good. Our treats lasted right up until the end. And after we were out we started walking around ourselves to socialize.

It was pretty fun.

No comments: