Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

The day started off much cooler than it had in the last few mornings. There was kind of a European Overcast effect. It was a delightful change. And instead of getting up early, I procrastinated getting up as well.

Then I get to work, only to notice a large group of protesters across the street. ('Happy Earthday everybody' is what they should have been chanting.) Now, how about we protest some ridiculous unrelated Earth-type thing. Global warming, environmental rights, oil; all would have made sense, but Animal rights? Lets face it people, they have NO rights! They are animals! (Let me be a little more clear on the matter: "THEY ARE NOT HUMAN", "THEY ARE NOT WORTH MORE THAN ANY HUMAN LIFE!"). Since last I saw they haven't organized themselves and declared a Sovereign nation yet. They aren't in talks with the UN. Sure some animals can be intelligent, but lets face it, its a crime to Eat your young. If they deserve rights they deserve punishments.
Anyway, I'll have to share my essay on Animal rights with you someday. Its a good one.
But the protesters were there pretty much just during lunch time, so we figured that all the students and scientists took their lunch to protest. Oh, and I should clarify, At the entrance of the school across the street, on one corner were the Animal Rights freaks, and the cops; and on the other corner were the people protesting the protest, the scientists, smart students, level minded supporters and the news teams. The news people were just filming the activists. The cops were over trying to control all the freaky activist hippies. There was a clear difference as to who was who. Suits, scrubs, and lab coats on one corner, and hippy, mod, bum, weirdo attire on the other corner. There were easily twice as many scientists as there were animal-anything protesters. Hmmm, what does that tell you...?

Other than that, work is a bit slow. I do what I can to keep busy.

Life here in general is super hot (I mean by the temperature.) And our apartment seems to collect heat a little to well, so it stays hot long into the evening/night.

Last Monday we met up some of the kids, namely Veteran and Greenfield, + guests, for dinner. It was fun hanging out again, but a short while into the night, I realized that one of the two tables was having an 'interesting' conversation. So 'interesting' in fact, that I don't feel comfortable repeating ANY of it! It was just surprising to hear them talk about such things in public. Now, it wasn't that bad, just ... different. One that you'd never think of having with members of the opposite sex around.

Anyway, last night I went to costco to see if they had portable air conditioners cause Cheryl had been severly complaining about the temperature. So in an attempt to silence the complaints I saught out a cooling device. I get to Costco and the exact item I saught wasn't there, so I just bought other things instead. Dinner was sponsored by a Costco Hot dog and a jumbo Costco muffin.

Lunch was sponsored by Marie Callendars 4 month old dinner

I'm listening to the sweet Low rumbling sound of our sleek air conditioner. Its fantastic!

No comments: