WHAT?! you didn't know it was on? How could that be?
... Well, its probably because most of you don't get the channel it was aired on. Year ago it was always shoved into the spotlight on Prime time TV and rammed down our throats via our eye sockets. Then Satellite TV gained popularity providing good healthy competition for that show, and for all programming too, as well as the internet, and Hulu, and youtube, and Netflix, and Ipods, and video games, and books, and even sitting and on your porch and watching bugs get zapped by your bug-zapper became more interesting than these beauty pageants.
Thank goodness for everything else that got in the way of those shows airing. Did you know that Miss America and Miss USA are different? Miss America started in the 1920's and it seemed its focus was the swimsuit and evening wear competition. They've since steered away from calling it those things, but that's still what people tune in for. Then there's Miss USA, co-owned by NBC and Donald Trump. They are the ones who own Miss Universe and Miss teen-usa. They are all about the commercialism. If they can get sponsors, there will be more pageants. Miss America at least is about the scholarship of the women who participate, so they say anyway.
I think the people who most care about these shows are the ones producing them. Second in line are the moms of the contestants, then the contestants themselves. I'm convinced its in that order. If you've seen any of those reality shows, like 'Toddlers in Tiara's' its exactly what I mean. There are a few different ones showing the over zealous parent pushing their young child into their own dreams, using their own grown-up ideals. Behavior like that is just hideous. Similar to most reality TV, it makes me want to strangle them. But I then must realize that no amount of hitting or choking will change people like that.
According to Greek mythology the first beauty pageant was when the gods asked the
shepherd Paris to decided who the fairest goddess was. In true pageant fashion they each promised rewards for Paris choosing them, and he chose Aphrodite who had promised him Helena of Troy as a bride. (Helen's husband didn't like this though, and thus started a war.) I recently heard it from a Discovery Channel show. The contestants were: Athena, Aphrodite, and Hera, zeus' wife.
I came across this show a few days ago, so I put it on my calendar for old times sakes. I just thought it was funny that they still have these things on TV.
No comments:
Post a Comment