Friday, January 21, 2011

The King Speaks




So after last Sunday's Golden Globe award show Cheryl and I decided to see a movie together. It wasn't really supposed to be a date, but it turned into one... at least an adventure.
The Golden Globes are an award show where actors actresses, and other Hollywood people take themselves way to seriously. This award show is taking bad press from being accused of fraud, bribes, and just your basic industry corruption. No one is surprised by these accusations because we were all thinking it to begin with anyway.

So on Tuesday I ran into Cheryl on the way home from work. I asked if she wanted to go to a movie right then. (How's that for spontaneous?!) We rushed off to the closest theater, only to find that the only seats available were in the front two rows... and that is a deal breaker between me and movies. I did it once in the second row, all the way to one side but never again. I was more intimidated by the movie than enjoyed it. The people were much to large for me to focus even on one part of their faces at a time.

So like I was saying... Cheryl and I meekly left the movie theater and decided to find me some food. She wasn't that hungry, and I didn't want to be a pig, so I told her that I also wasn't that hungry, when in reality it seems like I am. So we decided to split a burrito from La Salsa; the South-western US's take on Mexican food, i.e. still Americanized. And on the way back to the car we run into some friends or ours. We told them our situation and they were dramatically fake sad for us cause they had seen the movie and really liked it. After a few minutes of movie chat we continued on. On that walk to the car I asked how bad Cheryl wanted to see that movie cause deep down I knew that there was another showing at another close theater. And after a somewhat positive response from Cheryl I informed her that a mere 8-10 minutes away was another showing, in 20 minutes.

I put my driving skills to work and we rushed the the second theater. That theater was also mostly sold out, but there were still a few pairs of seats in the upper rows, so as I finished my half of the burrito we sat to watch the Kings speech movie.

If you watch the trailer for the movie, you pretty much know the whole story. Or if you know all about the kings and queens of late victorian England you'll know. But being American, I don't know and don't really care. It was interesting nevertheless. Cheryl, and a bunch of other yentas got pretty excited cause there were a lot of characters from her most favorite Pride & Prejudice movie.

And on the way home I realized that I bought food, and took Cheryl to a movie, so I only then realized that I had just been on a date with a girl. Oh how awkward... How will I explain this one to the guys... I wonder if she's reading into it too? Hmmm...

No comments: