Monday, April 5, 2010

Earthquake Easter

So Yesterday on Easter Cheryl had a whole assembly line set up for Cookie decorating. She had made her City-famous Sugar cookies and we were just mixing up some of the 10 different styles and colors of frosting for our Easter Cookie Extravaganza, when I started feeling dizzy. I usually pride myself on how well I stand up straight, but I felt like I was swaying uncontrollably, like my head was spinning. I mention this to Cheryl in case something bad/weird happens to me, and she looks out he window of the dining room area, and notices that the dining room lamp is swaying, as if someone had just knocked into it. I immediatly realize that I wasn't about to faint, so I start acting like I knew it all along. Cheryl went back to mixing frosting and decorating cookies as if nothing was wrong. I ran to the computer and tried to find info on the earthquake, right after taking top-shelf glass items down from bookshelves... just in case it was the 'Big One'.

It turns out it was centered by Mexicali, Mexico, right by California-Arizona border, and we felt it all the way up here. Crazy.

Later in the day I called my Grandma who lives an hour east and a little south of us, which is a little closer to the center of action, and she said she was sitting in the car and she thought someone was shaking it to be funny. My cousins, in the store, said that stuff fell of shelves... (but I don't know if I believe it, cause it wasn't that strong.)

At first it was reported as a 6.9, but was later upgraded to a 7.2.

Other than that I had an extra long Easter Weekend. I took Thursday AND Friday off of work cause they've been using us a lot more than usual, and I had at least that many hours built up on top of what I normally work. So I got three Saturday's and one Sunday. Sweeeet!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

We had some snow up here on Easter. Snow in April in Eureka? Crazy Easter!